Sunday, May 08, 2005

Hit Me Baby One More Time: Heat Six

Indeed there is another heat (and another next week) and not a final this week.

Nineties teen 'legend' Chesney Hawkes kicked off with his one big hit The One and Only. I never 'got' Chesney's appeal to the female audience though it is a catchy tune. His contemporary number was She's the One, originally by Robbie Williams. He did a good job of it, but ballads do not necessarily do well in this competition, neither do former 'studs' as Jordan Knight showed us last week.

Next up was Seventies Disco Diva Kelly Marie with her disco smash Feels Like I'm in Love which I love, although could pass most of the young audience by. Her second song was cover of Britney's Ooops I Did It Again which was good and left her with a good chance of winning the show. Next up was Nick van Eade who was previously of Cutting Crew and did their power ballad I Just Died in You Arms Tonight which was good, and followed it later with Macy Gray's I Try which he did well, but again is a ballad and thus a risk in this show.

Dance diva Sybil was up next with her song When I'm Good and Ready which she did an OK version of, and an OK cover of Shania Twain's Gonna get You Good. Nineties teen sister group Cleopatra were the last act, being still young the looked good when they sang their 'theme' song Cleopatra (Coming at ya) and did an excellent cover version of Girls Aloud's No Good Advice.

Whilst I was not blown away by any of the performances tonight, I thought Cleopatra had the edge, followed by Kelly Marie. The studio audience voted for Chesney Hawkes and the phone vote confirmed him as the winner. Thus blowing my theory about ballads right out of the water!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home