Wednesday, October 27, 2004

My Summer of Love

I don't go to the cinema for ages and then go three times in ten days....

This time, I was not so keen on the choice, we went to see My Summer Of Love a quiet, British film set Northern England one summer. It is a BBC produced, coming-of-age style movie and the story is based around two girls in their late teens, from vastly different backgrounds, who meet up, become friends and eventually fall in love one summer. Mona lives with her born-again Christian brother who is trying to convert the family pub into a place of worship. Manipulative Tamsin, who has been suspended from boarding school, spends her time rattling around the family mansion with little or no parental interference. The scenery around their Northern country village is beautiful, the music is good and the acting superb. The two lead actresses were excellent and I hope we will see more of both of them. The thing with coming-of-age movies (I'm not talking American Pie here) is that they are quite slow moving, and compared to the two fast paced movies I had enjoyed recently, this one suffers by comparison. The story is better than many however, and the ending very good. The story also reminded us of Heavenly Creatures somewhat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home