Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Naming Game

I have always been interested in the names people give their kids. It is often an insight into popular culture and other trends. A new survey by Bounty baby product and service suppliers. Such names for girls include Tame (an acronym for The Apple of My Eye), Tiger, Fire-Lily, Caramel, Ikea and Apricot. Boys don't fare any better with Moet, Tudor and Finchley.

To me this shows a trend to have a different name (though possibly the children don't think much of it) from their others, a contest to out do each other. This gives me another reason to despair for the future of the nation, when I hear from a friend that it is the kids with the fancy names that are the ones that hold back their peers with the more conventional names. I doubt it is the stigma of their name that holds them back, more likely that the parents think they have done enough to set their child apart by giving them the name, and probably don't have anything else to give.

More here and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home