Sunday, July 31, 2005

Podcasts

I've mentioned before about how Apple have introduced Podcasts recently on iTunes. These are radio shows normally available for free to download. The US seems far ahead of the UK/Europe in this, making up the majority of broadcasts available to download. According to an article in yesterday's Daily Telegraph, this could harm small community radio stations. They estimate US podcast users could reach 60m by 2010.

At the moment the majority of Podcasts are news and technology based. I don't really see the point of listening to an American news show. I downloaded two podcasts to try: Pete & Geoff's Radio Show from last Friday and Dawn and Drew Show.

Pete and Geoff's podcast was an hour of their talking, I presume they are not allowed to play the music which is one reason why I listen to that station, I think they are very funny, but I don't think I can be bothered to listen to them talking non-stop when I catch some of the show in the morning anyway. I lasted about two minutes into the Dawn and Drew Show as the two American idiots waffled on.

I think the potential is there for perhaps plays/sketches, discussions and interviews, but I don't see the point of listening to news shows later that day when the news changes so quick. I am also not likely to listen to normal people talking.

My verdict: Could do better. I will keep an eye out for new UK podcasts that I feel will be relevant to me, and I hope the current crop will not always be typical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home