Tuesday, March 01, 2005

G4 - G4

Yesterday was the release date of G4's (from X-Factor) debut album. The tracks listed on it are a mix of the contemporary and the classical. The classical tracks are fairly mainstream as to not alienate fans (especially young ones) who loved their interpretations of contemporary tracks.

After a preview on iTunes, I downloaded the album for £7.99 (bargain it is £8.49/£8.99) in most other places I have seen it.

Here, as I listen for the first time in full, I will give you my opinions.

The album kicks off with Bohemian Rhapsody, a number that was so successful for them on the show. It is a six minute version remixed by Graham Stack and Brian Rawling (whoever they maybe) and although slightly different from the version they performed live, it is still a very good version and suits them well. It is due to be the new single, so I imagine will be getting some airplay on the radio soon. Next is Nessun Dorma, the operatic track that is best known as the song from the World Cup 1990 that Puccini's opera Turandot (not that I have seen it, I googled it).

Their version of Everybody Hurts is also very good, I struggle with this song, as I don't really like it anyway - not one of REM's best - but G4 did as good a version as anybody.

The album version of Circle of Life, for me, was better than when performed in the studio on The X-Factor, as again, it is not a favourite song of mine normally.

One of the best tracks on the album was Creep a cover of Radiohead which gives some of the other lads other than Jonathan to shine. This is followed by To Where You Are, which I am not familiar with, and an excellent version of Life on Mars.

Back to the classical for the Flower Duet from Madame Butterfly which is better known as the track from the British Airways ads and a ballad called Broken Vow which is probably the weakest track on the album. It is quite bland inspite of the harmonies, though it could yet grow on me. The next track is the hymn Jerusalem and again some of the other guys get a look in, and Jonathan doesn't dominate the whole thing.

The last two tracks are pretty safe stuff :You'll Never Walk Alone -which is done well, but has never been the most upbeat of tracks, and My Way which was performed on the final of the TV show. They have recorded a very good version to finish on, sung as all four together, with no instruments for the first half, leaving us in no doubt that love them or hate them they did it their way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home