Saturday, November 13, 2004

X-Factor: Week Four

The tabloids love talking about this show. Apparently a second series has been commissioned and by all accounts, Louis and Sharon, have asked for a hefty pay rise of £250,000. They either think they have a winning formula (which is already being milked) or they (well, Sharon) feels they need compensating for putting up with Simon.

Tonight, G4 kicked off with Circle of Life from The Lion King, which suits their classically trained voices, but is not mainstream pop, nor my cup of tea. Rowetta came on next to sing a cover of Donna Summer's MacArthur Park which I have always loved. The lyrics don't make much sense, as Sharon pointed out, but I gather it is all about an acid trip, so it isn't really supposed to! I thought she did well, but the judges weren't to sure with Sharon claiming that the audience would not know the song. Tabby came next singing I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing, I believe he is still bookies favourite, and for me, this was his weakest performance. Even my tone-deaf ears picked up some bum notes. Voices With Soul came on, in fab outfits to sing Lady Marmalade, though amusingly chose to sing "Voulez-vous enchante avec moi, ce soir" instead of the original "Voulez-vous couchez..." as they didn't feel comfy inviting people to sleep with them. I thought their performance was very good. Sharon called it the best performance, by anyone, of the series but I think that was going to far. Cassie came up next, after being built up tremendously by Sharon. She warbled Mariah Carey's Hero and I thought it pretty poor, off-key in places and generally quite weak. I don't like the song much myself, but the judges didn't mind it. The show finished with Steve. Simon had obviously taken on board comments that Sharon had made, and tried to avoid giving Steve songs that earned him comparisons with soul stars. This time he gave him Gladys Knight's Help me Make It Through The Night, which he sang beautifully. Sharon did wonder that Steve could be a one-trick pony who could just croon ballads, but he denied it. Louis though he could have made a bit of effort to look better.

The second show was as painful as ever as they show lots of clips of the bands and the comments they received, milk the nerves of the contestants, and encourage you to vote (I am sure they do this is the acts' best interests, rather then to line ITV's coffers). This week the bottom two were G4 and Voices With Soul. I have stopped being surprised when VWS gets into the bottom two now, and G4 were not at their best. I am surprised that people think Cassie is any good. Anyway, both acts sang again, this time for the judges' vote. Sharon went first and voted for VWS to go. Simon was next and voted for G4 to go. I am sure he only did this to make Louis decide which of his acts had to go. Louis chose VWS to go, which was probably the best as they don't seem to appeal to the audience as much as G4. Louis is apparently odds-on to be the first judge with no acts in the contest. This would be a shame as I have always rated G4 up til now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home