Thursday, August 12, 2004

The Lotto Scandal

The Red Tops (and no doubt the Daily Mail) have been getting their knickers in a twist over the fact that a convicted rapist has won the lottery . Fortunately the broadsheets have a better understanding on the concept of a 'lottery'. Although not specific to the aforementioned scandal, my favourite lottery quote is by Boris Johnson, which I found today at the Telegraph online:

It is doubtless only the personal bitterness of a non-winner that leads me to think of the lottery as a tax on the credulity and overoptimism of those with a poor understanding of statistics.

Although I play the lottery most weeks, I am well aware that the odds of me winning it are worse that that of being kicked to death by a donkey (or something), but I think that someone has to win it, and it may as well be me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home