Monday, August 14, 2006

Sheila O'Flanagan - Suddenly Single

Why do I do this to myself? I bought three O’Flanagan books from the Book Man who comes to work for £5 the set. Bargain I thought. Maybe I have outgrown the genre but I found all the first two rather dull, but not wanting to waste it without giving it a chance (and part as a punishment to myself for buying them without thinking about how dire they could be) I valiantly (or stupidly) proceeded to read this one.

Our heroine, Alix is a career girl in a successful relationship with a journalist. However, the relationship isn’t as successful as she thought, as Paul then dumps her for a woman who will give him marriage and children instead of being driven by her career. Alix is knocked for six and partly refuses to face the inevitable. She has a few dates, reluctantly; more to placate her family but is concentrating more on not being usurped in the work place where she is a successful currency dealer for an international bank. Will Alix let he guard down long enough to face her demons that plague her about her personal life right from her childhood when her father left?

The book does resolve these issues, but it doesn’t really matter as the book is dull and predictable. Competing in a genre like chick-lit where the market is flooded O’Flanagan is found wanting. The book is not particularly well written and lacks the wit and pace of some of her rivals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home