Friday, June 30, 2006

Church Burial records

1001 Things in 101 Days - No 61 Try Something New Every Month - May

I have been up to Peldon church in deepest, darkest Essex and looked through the burial records to see if I can find any ancestors in there, which I did, and the very helpful church warden then located graves for us, so I finally saw by Great-grandparents graves. Unfortunately other relatives either did not have a headstone or it was illegible so we were unable to find all the graves, but I was pleased to at least find my direct lineage. We also went onto the less loved Great Wigborough church. We already know the records from the period we were looking for had been sent to the archives, so we could only look around and the few legible graves, which unfortunately did not contain any ancestors. A local lady who came into the churchyard whilst we were there said that many graves had been razed over the years and just sunk into the ground. Plus, we suspect that our relatives may not have had headstones due to the expense as we had found the invoices from the undertakers for some relatives at both Great and Little Wigborough church and they do not quote for headstones (plus my mum was around when some of the Little Wigborough relatives were buried and can confirm that there no stones). Although it was not as successful a visit as we would have liked, I was happy to enjoy another quintessential English churchyard in the sunshine again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home