Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Chart merge Impact

There is an interesting article from the BBC comparing the singles and downloads charts. Some songs in the singles chart have not been in the Download top ten/twenty, whilst rock and indie groups see more success in the download chart. I think the impact will be very interesting if you consider that the average singles buyer in young (teenage) females, whilst downloaders are male, usually over 25. I am not sure where I fit into this demographic as a downloader who is female and over 25, but it remains to be seen how my choices will be represented. I don't buy many singles, mainly albums. However I may even listen in to the chart show this weekend...and if the intended outcome is to get more people interested in the charts (as a form of music promotion) then it could just work.

However, the independent labels are still criticising the system and feel that the download chart is not secure and open to abuse, especially as downloads are so much cheaper than CD singles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home